Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Jax Thought

What I remember. Well it all started out when I was going to institute to have a good time and meet people. I saw an Indian girl and thought that it was interesting that someone from that culture was a member of the church (as I had never seen an Indian in the church) and that was pretty much it.
But then weeks passed, and I started to grow fonder of her but I was too scared to talk to her or do anything. I remember trying to figure out where she was from for some reason--was she from Stockton? I was trying to figure out if there were Indian people who were members of the church; as if knowing this information would somehow guarantee that she would date me. I was worried about asking her on a date and being rejected. Now, I was stupid because I hadn’t even really struck up a conversation with her.
I remember once at Delta College we, as an institute, were passing out pass along cards and information about the church and she came. I was trying to stay close so she could see me, hoping desperately that she would strike up a conversion. She didn’t; at the end she went away. Actually, I think she said goodbye to my friend Jimmy Robison, but didn’t say anything to me. Wait--was I not there? I was standing right by him. I went away from that a little sad thinking she was not interested in me and I didn’t have any hope.
I continued on with my life, hanging with friends having a good time. Then the day of the baptism came. She sat by me. I was totally surprised and so excited--she really does realize I do exist. Then I worked my magic with my lovely voice, singing bass, then tenor, and switching between the two, I couldn’t miss a note, hitting this one and that one, B flat, F. Whatever it was, I tore it up. I believe I sounded like a musical virtuoso that day. I didn’t know then that Anupa was a choir nerd and she thought it was cool that I sang.
So about a week later at institute afterwards I was talking to friends and she came up and asked if I wanted to sing a duet in church one time. I said “sure,” while thinking in my head “Yes, this is so awesome.” The funny thing is that we never did sing that duet and still to this day have not sung. We “practiced” one day after church at the piano, I say practiced but we sat there and talked for over an hour about life and I talked mostly about family and how mine was so important to me. It was so cool just to sit there and talk. We set up a date for that Friday to eat Indian food, I never had. I get home and she calls me and invites me to hang out on Wednesday. I knew then that she really liked me.
First Date. I remember telling Anupa (because she isn’t tall) to wear high heels because my Mom doesn’t like us dating short girls. We went to Indian food; it was good. I had the Tandoori chicken. We walked around Berkeley for a while, and then stopped by her parents’ house so she could get something. The first thing I saw was a painting of a naked woman on the wall and just laughed. I think Anupa was a little embarrassed.
We continued to date and Anupa told me she was preparing her parents to accept me as a possible husband. The time came to ask Ashok for his daughter’s hand in marriage. I was so scared. I sat in the car by their house for about a half an hour before mustering the courage to go speak to him. I was going to be the first white person in their family; this was a huge deal. It was fine. We talked for a couple of minutes. He had an idea why I was there and then he said, “I guess you have something to ask me.” He said yes. Anupa and I were later married August 13, 2005 in the Oakland temple. I am so glad I married her; I feel that she is the only person who could put up with me. I feel that I can truly be myself and she would accept me no matter what. She is the only person I could be with all day and never tire. Except when she asks me thousands of questions, only kidding. And they lived happily ever after.

The End

Handed down by: Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment