Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Jay & Cammy's Story

Handed down by: Cammy Harvey
Jay and I both grew up in Manteca, CA. The Harvey family was never in my families ward but they have always been around. I spent 4 years in seminary with Jack, summers with Johanna & Jill as my boss, the Benson family living around the corner for a while, Kathy as my Church Choir Director and even when I went to Science Camp as a counselor, Jeff was there. So, it only made sense to me when I showed up that first day at BYU-Idaho and Jay was living across the street.
Jay and I never said a word to each other until one day my roommate and I went to invite our friend Dave for dinner and Jay was standing right next to him. We didn't want to be rude, so we told Jay he could come too. We had a great dinner but Jay had to leave for work in the middle of it. We all teased him about eating and running but what stuck out most in my mind was when 5 mins. later Jay showed back up to help clean up dinner.
After that day Jay never seemed to leave. All of our roommates and I got to know Jay really well and felt very comfortable teasing him about his horrible long shaggy hair and gross clothes. People kept telling us that we should date but we both said we were better off as friends. We spent many nights staying up late talking and really formed a great friendship. We never felt like we were trying to impress each other, so nothing was held back about what we each wanted in a spouse and life. We both wanted many of the same things.
Jay went home that Thanksgiving and came back with a whole new wardrobe and agreed to cut his hair (if we paid) to go with the new look. He looked amazing and for the first time I thought he is a good looking guy!
We decided to go as a group to watch the movie "John Q." I was standing behind Jay in line and the ticket taker asked if he was paying for two. Jay payed and turned around to hand me my ticket. He said "I got paid this week, so here you go." (very romantic) We entered the movie theater late and had to be split up. There were two empty seats next to each other so Jay and I stat next to each other. In the middle on the movie he started holding my hand. My roommate asked that night if anything was going on and I just said we are just friends.(Jay and I count this as our first date)
The next day he came over to watch a movie and in the middle of the movie I looked over at him and we kissed for the first time. I quietly told him this better be for real. He said this is the real deal and we decided that night that we were going to date!
I knew that Jay really wanted to get married and I was struggling with this. I had just started school and felt like I was so young to get married. As winter break was approaching I told my roommate if Jay was willing to make the effort to call or come see me while I was in Livermore with my family, I would be willing to keep an open mind about getting married right away and put all my trust in the Lord.
By the time winter break was over I knew that Jay and I were going to be married. We almost spent every day together and my family was in love with him.
Jay proposed the end of January. He had called my dad the week before to ask so I knew that it was going to happen. I had told him I wanted a new set of scriptures. One day he called me to come over because he need help in his religion class. I told him I had a test to study for but he insisted that it wouldn't be very long. I sat down on his couch and he handed me a set of scriptures and told me to turn to the page that had the bookmark in it. I opened it up to D & C 131 and the ring was inside that page. He got down on one knee & proposed. After I said yes he turned the scriptures over to the front where he had engraved "Cammy Lynn Harvey."
We were married on May 12, 2001 in the Oakland Temple. We spent our honeymoon in Disneyland, came home to open gifts and drove back to BYU-Idaho to start our life together that summer. It has been one of the best decisions I have ever made!

No comments:

Post a Comment